Tuesday, September 22, 2020

My Origin Story (Part 1)

I'm not a superhero, but there comes a point in everyone's lives that something happens. You can only hope that you have a lightbulb moment and that it isn't brought on by something traumatic. I didn't have trauma that gave me my lightbulb, turning point, my origin story. 

In August 2016, I looked at my career path, and I wanted a change. While I was grateful to have a job, I wasn't in a role that brought me any type of joy. The straw that broke the camel's back was when, after ten years, I asked for a raise. You see, in 2008, we all took pay cuts to keep our jobs during the recession. By 2016, our company was not only recovered but profiting immensely, but we weren't making the same amount we were pre-2008. My new manager (#3 with the company) had good and bad news. Management wasn't approving any pay increases, but he approved one for me that "wouldn't raise any eyebrows with upper management." The amount? 4% which translated to $1440, gross, increase per year. After taxes, it came out to $40 extra per paycheck ($80 per month.) My value to the company was $960 extra a year.

I had already finished my bachelor's degree in 2016, earning a BA in Psychology with Honors while working full time. I knew that I wanted more. I opted to seek out another job, and in October 2016, I left my existing job and accepted a job with a Fortune 500 company. 

At the same time, I thought, "what is my passion?" My passion was the environment, the outdoors. I enrolled in an MS program for Environmental Policy and Management. This would be my first rung on the ladder.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to hear the rest of the story! Did you complete your MS? What career did that lead you into? I came here googling the city pickers gardening kits (I have 3 myself) and looking for lush patio garderning pictures for inspiration for the planting season early next year.

    ReplyDelete