Monday, June 22, 2015

Cutting Costs: Cell Phones.

I am sure you've seen the commercials airing in which users from other cell phone providers talk to another provider about what they currently pay per month. These users' bills are normally between $200 and $400 (just for his or her bill, not their family members'.) WOW. $200-$400? There are so many options out there, why would someone ever pay that much for a cell phone bill each month?!

I have used GoPhone for, I don't even know how long. I originally used AT&T when they were Cingular (before Smartphones.) I briefly used Verizon, but the service area couldn't compare to [AT&T] at the time.

I *know* I have been using GoPhone for at least nine years. I use the "pick your plan" option. For awhile, AT&T was preventing iPhone and Blackberry users from using GoPhone. Let me rephrase that: you could purchase an iPhone or Blackberry and use it for calls and texts, but you could not use the unlimited data with Smartphones.

That all changed in 2014 when AT&T decided to allow iPhone users to enroll in a data plan included with GoPhone packages. My bill has fluctuated among $75 and $55 and $50 and such depending on what plan I've chose. But now? Now I am on the $45/month plan with unlimited (anytime) talk and text, and I get 1.5GB of high speed data each month. This does not mean if I use all 1.5GB I don't get any data. It just means when 1.5 GB is used, I get slower data. But you know what? That doesn't really matter.

The ISP at our home offers nationwide hotspots, and several businesses and other locations offer free WiFi. Because of this, I rarely use my data, and that's good because that data now rolls over to the following month if it goes unused.

As a side bonus, when you enroll in autopay (automatic debit from your bank account,) and the payment is successful, you immediately get $5 deposited into your account as a thank you.

My cell phone bill is $40/month. I get unlimited talk and text, and now I get data (if I need if if there isn't WiFi available.)

No one should be paying $200-$400 (or more) each month JUST for their cell phone.

Let's keep this in mind, though....no one can please everyone 100% of the time so I'm sure you will read plenty of grouchy reviews about GoPhone. Like I said, I've used GoPhone for at least 9 years, and I don't see me stopping anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment